Tuesday, 18 November 2008

Cultural Experience #39 and counting....

so i went to oscar's the other day to get some food. oscars is sorta like a grocery store about the size of one aisle of walmart. so there's maybe like 10 items to choose from that don't look shady. but unlike the others, it feels more "cultural" i.e. instead of hearing "what goes around comes back around" playing when we (americans) walk into our metro market (another grocery story maybe a  bit larger than oscar's), we hear blaring arabian music in which every song is about a "habibi" (girlfriend/lover/whatever). In any event, Oscar employees don't know any english. Not that it matters as I spoke to them in arabic. Anyways, here's the story:

I ask for 4 bananas. just 4. i said "I would like 4 bananas please" in arabic. but apparentely you have to clarify a little more than that which I had forgotten to do since I had been trying to use my arabic all day and everything was now flying out of my head so that I couldn't remember anything. In any event, the man cut me 4 Kilos. Which is a TON of bananas. Like a whole palm tree. He might have well just let me carry the tree back home. i think i would of been eating bananas for like a year. ew. in any event, i tried hard to explain that no i didn't want enough bananas to feed a family reunion in lower alabama, i just wanted 4 bananas for myself. Finally, he caught on and erupted in laughter and cut me 4 new bananas. Which he could of just taken 4 out of the supersized plastic bag he had for me. but whatever. When in Rome.....

or in egypt. 

whatever. 

Atleast i know how to get bananas now. 

-kt

2 comments:

Loneliness said...

kt......

i just laughed and laughed and laughed at this.....for some reason it so tickled me to imagine you, tiny little you, and a big arab guy WITH A KNIFE........sorry, i have a very warped sense of humor.

we continue asking dad to take care of you and love you!!

A.S.K. the Camel said...

haha thanks! i laughed too. and yes, he was a large arab guy with a knife; but you know me, i tend to think i'm bigger than i really am....haha.